Thursday, February 22, 2007

Remembering happier times...

As I type, my dear Grandpa Sam lays dying. He has been in palliative care for a week now. So much for the 24-48 hours that they predicted for him when he was admitted. He has clung to life despite severe septic infection and a heart attack. Still there were some really tough moral decisions to be made.
It was a struggle for my mother, who is power of care, to make a decision. Other family members had opinions of their own, driven by how uncomfortable they were with watching their beloved father struggle for breath, they hoped he would go quickly and peacefully. For my mother his comfort was of utmost concern, but some of the measures were prolonging his death. My mother had to struggle with what his wishes would be. I suggested that as an unquestioning man of faith, her answer should come from the church, and that she should presume that he would want a Roman Catholic Living Will. She sought the counsel of the priest, but sadly was not helped much at all by that particular priest. However, while she struggled with this, his deterioration has continued and it has come to a point where things such as fluids, were only serving to flood his lungs, and any feeds through his feeding tube would only serve to cause him him to aspirate some. So barring heroic measures, the decision has been taken from her hands.


Now all that I can do is pray that this wonderful man has a peaceful journey to heaven. I know that he will find his way to heaven. In my dreams he is helping God by bouncing of all of the babies and children in heaven upon his knee.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I'm so sorry. Praying for your grandpa and your family. (((HUGS)))