Monday, August 22, 2011

Hatch countdown!

I have been a negligent blogger lately. I'm going to blame going to the cottage, even though that's not the whole story. I will try to catch up with a few posts this week.

When I got home from the cottage, I discovered that my Silkie hen, Jill, had laid eggs. Jill doesn't lay them too often. She is 3 years old and I think in the past 3 years, she had laid up to 20 eggs in total. In the week following my return, she laid an egg a day and then decided to sit on them. I replaced her 8 little white unfertilized eggs with 5 big blue and 2 big brown fertilized ones. She threw one egg out of the nest and has decided to sit on 6.

Jill has hatched 3 babies for me before and was a very good momma to Goldie, Miss T and poor little Chris.

It takes 21 days for chicken eggs to hatch. Jill started 5 days ago, so we should see some new chicks in 16 days (give or take a day).

No comments: